2nd ANNUAL CAPITAL CERTAMEN FEBRUARY 2002
Sponsored by the Maryland Senior Classical League
LEVEL III & IV
1. Translate "not to go" in the following sentence. He persuaded us not to go. NE IREMUS
A. Translate the subjunctive verb in this sentence: He asked me where I was going. IREM
B. Translate the subjunctive verb in this sentence: I will urge him to follow. SEQUATUR
2. What Roman king is said to have laid out the Circus Maximus for chariot racing? TARQUINIUS PRISCUS
A. How were the factiones identified? BY COLOR
B. During the Empire, there were four factiones identified by what colors?
BLUE, GREEN, RED, WHITE
3. In 667 B.C. Alba Longa and Rome decided to settle a matter of power with a duel. What two families participated in the duel? HORATII AND CURIATII
A. Which family fought for Rome? HORATII
B. How many Horatii brothers were killed? 2
4. Complete this analogy. Astyanax : _____ : : Ascanius : Aeneas. HECTOR
A. _____ : Hector : : Creusa : Aeneas ANDROMACHE
B. Hector : _____ : : Aeneas : Anchises PRIAM
5. Which of the following metrical feet is NOT used in dactylic hexameter: dactyl, iamb, spondee, or trochee?
A. A trochee will be used - if at all - only in one foot of a line of dactylic hexameter. Which one?
THE SIXTH (OR LAST)
B. How many dactyls are in the first line of the Aeneid? THREE
6. What deponent verb is a synonym for tempto? CONOR
A. Give the gerund of conor in the genitive case. CONANDI
B. Give the present imperative plural of conor. CONAMINI
7. Give the nomen of the famous Roman whose praenomen was Marcus and whose cognomen was Cicero.
A. Give the cognomen of the author whose name begins Publius Ovidius. NASO
B. Give the praenomen of the author whose name finishes Vergilius Maro. PUBLIUS
8. What Latin phrase signified a man who was the first in his family to achieve senatorial rank?
A. What phrase signified the regular order of offices that formed the Roman political ladder?
B. What phrase was used by Cicero to address the Senate? PATRES CONSCRIPTI
9. Who in mythology killed a series of bandits, including Procrustes, on his way to see his father? THESEUS
A. To what city was Theseus going? ATHENS
B. Who was Theseus' father, the king of Athens? AEGEUS
10. What genre of literature often begins in medias res? EPIC POETRY
A. What epic begins with the wrath of Achilles? THE ILIAD
B. What epic begins with the wrath of Juno? THE AENEID
11. In the phrase mirabile dictu, what grammatical form is dictu? SUPINE
A. Translate mirabile dictu. WONDROUS TO SAY
B. Translate the supine in the phrase "awful to see." VISU
12. What member of Romes first triumvirate ran the fire brigade? CRASSUS
A. Who was the wealthiest member of the first triumvirate? CRASSUS
B. Who was the first member of the triumvirate to die? CRASSUS
13. Give the meaning of the idiom res novae. REVOLUTION
A. Give the idiom using res that means "accomplishments." RES GESTAE
B. Who wrote a book called Res Gestae, in which he bragged about finding Rome a city of brick and leaving it a city of marble? AUGUSTUS
14. Take the number of the Muses, add the number of the Graces, and give the total in Latin. DUODECIM
A. Take the number of children Rhea Silvia had, multiply by the number of children Leto had, and add the number of sons Niobe had. Give your answer in Latin. DUODEVIGINTI
B. Responde Latine. Quot sorores Iuppiter habebat? TRES
15. What literary device is illustrated in this line from Ovid? Sonuerunt cymbala toto litore et attonita tympana pulsa manu. ONOMATOPOEIA/CONSONANCE
A. What literary device is defined as "the use of the conjunction to add each member in a series"? Example: et color et Theseus et vox. POLYSYNDETON
B. What literary device is defined as "the omission of the conjunction in a series"? ASYNDETON
16. What particular Latin verbal construction is illustrated by the following sentence? Hoc est faciendum mihi.
PASSIVE PERIPHRASTIC/FUTURE PASSIVE PARTICIPLE PLUS THE VERB TO BE
A. Translate hoc est faciendum mihi. I MUST DO THIS (OR THIS MUST BE DONE BY ME)
B. Use a passive periphrastic to say in Latin, "We must do that."
ILLUD (ID) FACIENDUM/AGENDUM NOBIS
17. One famous Roman author died and another was born in the year 43 B.C. Name them both.
CICERO DIED AND OVID WAS BORN
A. Who was responsible for Cicero's death? SECOND TRIUMVIRATE (MARC ANTONY)
B. After Cicero's death, how did Marc Antony get revenge on him for the Philippics?
HE HAD CICERO'S HEAD AND HANDS CUT OFF AND DISPLAYED ON THE ROSTRA
18. Translate the following line. Vivamus, mea Lesbia, atque amemus.
LET US LIVE, MY LESBIA, AND LET US LOVE.
A. "Lesbia" was the pseudonym for what Roman woman? CLODIA
B. What kind of animal was Lesbia's pet? SPARROW
19. Of the mythological women Alcmene, Amphitrite, Demeter, and Semele, which one did not bear a child of Zeus? AMPHITRITE
A. Of these women, which one was the mother of Heracles? ALCMENE
B. In what form did Zeus appear to Semele, and what was the result?
AS HIS TRUE FORM, AND IT KILLED HER
20. In Book I of the Aeneid, who says these words? Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit. AENEAS
A. In the same book, who says "dux femina facti"? VENUS
B. Who says, "O fortunati, quorum iam moenia surgunt"? AENEAS