3. Which one of the following does not belong and why? Canis, corpus, caput, cubiculum. Canis, because it is not neuter.
Bonus: Amor, of course, is a noun and means love. But what other part of speech, with what meaning, can it be? Verb / I am loved.
4. Even love has its limits. What Roman emperor caused a great scandal by marrying his niece (forbidden under Roman law). Claudius.
Bonus: What was the name of this niece, the mother of Nero? Agrippina.
5. Which of the following does not belong, and why? Captus, locutus, visus, lectus. Locutus because it is a perfect active participle (accept active, or deponent verb form).
Bonus: What's out of place here and why? Ars, meta, auriga, nox. Auriga, because it is masculine.
6. Hercules was required in his 9th labor to recover what object from the queen of the Amazons? Her girdle.
Bonus: Who was this queen? Hippolyta.
7. What use of the ablative is seen in this sentence: Marcus altior Lucio est. Ablative of comparison.
Bonus: Say that sentence without using an ablative. Marcus altior quam Lucius est.
8. Responde Latine. In what room of the Roman house might you find a lectus? Cubiculum / triclinium
Bonus: In what other room of the Roman house would you find one? Cubiculum / triclinium.
9. Please put these battles in order: Teutonburg Forest, Actium, Pharsalus, Cannae. Cannae, Pharsalus, Actium, Teutonburg Forest.
Bonus: What happened at the battle of the Teutonburg Forest? 3 Romans legions were destroyed by the Germans.
10. Make celeris manus accusative. Celerem manum.
Bonus: Now make it genitive plural. Celerium manuum.
11. What moon of the planet Jupiter was named after a lover of Jupiter who was turned into a cow? Io.
Bonus: What other moon of Jupiter bears the name of the lover whom Juppiter, transformed into a bull, carried away to Crete? Europa.
12. What is unusual about the verb odi, odisse? It has perfect forms only, but no perfect meaning.
Bonus: What other verb, with what meaning, acts the same way? Memini / to remember.
13. In the sentence "He thinks he has enough money", how would you say in Latin "enough money". Satis pecuniae.
Bonus: Give me the one that doesnÿt belong, along with its gender and meaning. tempus, vulgus, quercus, pelagus. Quercus / feminine / oak.
14. What member of the Second Triumvirate attempted to woo Octavian's soldiers away from him during the campaign in Sicily in 36 B.C. and was removed from power for the attempt? Lepidus.
Bonus: Octavian was campaign against the last of the sons of Pompey. What was his name? Sextus Pompeius.
15. What do the following having in common? hasta, balista, saggita, gladius. They are all weapons.
Bonus: A soldier's shield was technically not a weapon, though clearly part of his arma. What is the Latin word for shield? Scutum.
16. What do we call the region known to the Romans as Cisalpine Gaul? The Po Valley (northern Italy).
Bonus: What region was Mauritania? Morocco.
17. What two gods helped build the walls of Troy? Apollo and Poseidon.
Bonus: What ancestor of Aeneas helped them? Abacus.
18. Polybius, the Greek historian, was sent to Rome as hostage after the victory of Paulus over the Macedonia king at what battle in 168 B.C.? Pydna.
Bonus: Who was the Macedonian king whom Paulus defeated? Perseus.
19. This author is famous for many works, but was exiled from Rome by Augustus probably because of his Ars Amatoria. Who was it? Ovid.
Bonus: Ovid's most famous work is his Metamorphoses. What other author also wrote a work called the Metamorphoes or sometimes Asinus aureus? Apuleius.
20. Identify the tense and voice of the participle moriturus. Future active.
Bonus: Using this participle, say in Latin "I know that I will die". Scio me moriturum (esse).